Born in Lenno Tremezzina (Como), in 1945, he graduated in mechanical engineering from the Milan Polytechnic. In 1987 and 1989 he designed two historic chairs for Alias: lightlight and softlight. The former is on show in the permanent collection in the MoMA in New York. The first Alias chairs in the frame range date from 1994. These were followed in 2003 by frametable, in 2007 by the out collection teak, in 2009 by the biplane table and in 2011 hydrochiar. In 2013, the oscillating tilt mechanism was introduced on the plus versions of the rolling frame and meeting frame chairs, later to be enhanced by a new soft finish in 2015. He lives and works in Milan.